Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) – Nominate a Pharmacy
To Nominate a Pharmacy Form Click Here: Nominate a Pharmacy Form.pdf
Electronic Prescription Service (EPS)
EPS is an electronic prescription service where by the patient nomination their chosen pharmacy so their prescription can be sent directly to the pharmacy without the need to obtain a paper copy from the GP practice.
The system can work very well and is liked by several patients however some points to bear in mind are:
- Once a Prescription is issued by our surgery is does not appear instantly at the pharmacy. The process can take up to 48hrs or longer if there are NHS IT problems.
- Once a prescription is approved by a GP it is given a unique “token” code sent to the “NHS spine”. The prescription is then “pulled down” by the pharmacist. Once a prescription is “pulled down” or part issued by the pharmacist it cannot be changed.
- Once you nominate a pharmacy your prescriptions will be sent to that pharmacy even if you forget which pharmacy you have nominated. If you wish to change your nominated pharmacy then you need to write to us to let us know.
- EPS is not 100% reliable and prescriptions do get lost or are delayed within the electronic transfer process due to NHS IT issues that are not within our control.
- Controlled drugs are not issued on EPS.
- Repeat medications are not ever lasting. If you have not seen a clinician or you have not attended the practice for appropriate clinical tests then repeat medications will be removed from your prescriptions under NHS requirements.